Saturday, August 13, 2011

Packing, Unpacking, Packing

Here's a quick update on life:

My last day of work at the Texas A&M System was August 5th.  The Uhaul was already loaded when I left work that day at noon to pick up the cats and meet friends for lunch at Freebirds before hitting the road.  So glad to get to see Steph one last time before leaving.

Erica, Rach, Beth, Diesel, Bella and I hit the road after lunch and started the long trek to Amarillo.  We made it in safely that night by about 1:30am.  Needless to say, we were exhausted.  The next morning we headed out by about 9am for the border.  After a breakfast stop at Braums, we hit the Texas/New Mexico border before lunchtime.

I concluded that I hate driving through New Mexico.  There was "construction" from the state line to Raton, NM, with no workers, no equipment, but 45 and 55 mph speed limits.  Very frustrating!

Eventually we made it out of NM and into CO and arrived in Colorado Springs by about 4pm.  I had found an apartment online the week prior to departure and was able to put down a deposit at one I liked.  So, upon arrival we promptly went to the apartment complex so I could look at it and decide whether to lease it.  It really pays to have your own construction inspector along on trips like this...thanks Erica!  The apartment checked out and I signed the lease and by 6:30 we had the trailer completely unloaded into the garage and we were heading off to return it.

My apartment is great!  It's a two bedroom/one bathroom which is perfect for company, so start making reservations now!  I have an attached one car garage which is directly below my apartment.  Other garages are also below my apartment, so I don't have to worry about making too much noise on the floor which is nice.  There's also no apartments above me or on either side of me, which is a huge blessing and means I rarely hear any noise!

So, I've been busy this week trying to get my apartment semi-unpacked.  I've managed to get the kitchen unpacked and the bathroom mostly unpacked.  My closet and the linen closet are pretty well put together.  I was so blessed to have Rach along last weekend to do some grocery shopping for me so I didn't starve this week...thanks Rach!  And equally blessed to have Beth there to help me find a new mattress so I'm not sleeping on air this week...thanks Beth!

And here are a few pictures in no particular order...
 Bella playing in the new apartment.  She seems to be adjusting okay.

 Check out her claws!  That's why she's "Killer"!

 Diesel likes the new toys.

 Though perhaps doesn't like the paparazzi.

 Steph and I before leaving for Colorado.  Miss her!

 Random picture of Karis and I from earlier this summer.  Just too cute, had to throw it in!

 Picture of me in the new place.  That big blue book is one of the many cool things I got from Compassion during my first week.  It's going to be an awesome organization to work for!

 From left to right: Erica, Rachael, me, and Beth; dressed and ready for church Sunday after moving.

From left to right: Beth, Rachael, Erica and I in front of Garden of the Gods Sunday afternoon on our whirlwind tour about Colorado Springs.  Miss you ladies very much and so thankful for all the many ways you helped me last weekend!

And the last couple of days I've been busy getting the things together that I need for Africa and getting them packed.  Can't believe I'll be heading for the airport in 15 hours!  I was so blessed by a co-worker who's offered to keep an eye on my place and kitties while I'm gone.  I'm looking forward to the trip.  It's going to be a great opportunity to get to know my new boss better and to learn so much about Compassion's ministry!

Hopefully I'll be able to post an update or two from Africa, otherwise be ready for pictures when I get back in September!  :)  Who knows, maybe it will snow here when I get back...weird!!  

No comments: